Green screen backgrounds are the fuel behind the active imagination of many directors, producers, and video editors. With a greenscreen, filmmakers get to combine foreground actions with separately filmed footage and insert visuals by replacing color hues for an aesthetic and professional look.
A green screen app further widens your artistic possibilities as you can replace the original background with a virtual one.
Keep reading to find out the eight best green screen apps, including their price, features, steps for creation, and pros and cons.
What Is the Best App for Green Screen?
|Green Screen App||Android||iPhone||Windows||Mac||Price||Level|
|Green Screen by Do Ink||X||✔||X||X||$4.99||Easy|
|Veescope Live Green Screen App||X||✔||X||X||$2.99||Easy|
|Chroma Key Studio Pro||X||✔||X||X||$4.99||Normal|
|Stop Motion Studio||✔||✔||✔||✔||$1.99 – $9.99||Easy|
|Movavi Video Editor||X||X||✔||✔||$49.95/year||Easy|
The best criteria for selecting green screen apps are cross-platform compatibility, ease of use, features, and price. Ideally, the software should be compatible with Windows and Mac devices since editing with computers is a smoother process. Its price should also not drill a hole in your pocket.
With that in mind, here is an in-depth look into my eight best Green Screen apps for editing videos:
1. KineMaster (Free App for Android and iOS)
KineMaster is a professional green screen app that lets you download templates, effects, and music directly to your android or iOS phone and combine them with your pictures and videos. You can also share your projects with others on the platform for further editing once you are done.
- Free templates, effects, music, stickers, fonts, and more.
- Backup and share.
- Eight different blending modes.
- Reverse tool for making focal shifts, in-camera transitions, etc.
- Upload the media. Go to the application, select the aspect ratio, navigate to the right side of your screen, and tap Media. Then, select the videos with the chroma key and tap to import them on the timeline.
- Enable the chroma key. Select the clips with the green screen, navigate to the right-hand side menu and tap on the Chroma Key. You can then enable it to remove the color from the video clip.
That’s not all. You can edit and adjust your video accordingly using KineMaster’s editing tools to trim, the blending modes for special effects, the reverse feature for in-camera transitions, and more.
- Free green screen app.
- Gets weekly updates on stickers, transitions, music clips, and video backgrounds and clips.
- Create multiple-layer video clips.
- Boost your creativity with EQ presets, speed controls, and preview features.
- Incompatibility with PCs and Mac computers.
- It often malfunctions.
2. Green Screen by Do Ink (Best for iOS)
Green Screen by Do Ink is an iOS-only compatible app. It allows you to mix visual elements like the live camera, animations, and drawings from multiple sources to form a single image, video, or GIF.
- Chroma key tool for erasing specified colors.
- Cropping tool.
- Masking tool.
- Color picker
- Transform tool to pan, scale, and rotate elements.
- Tap the Plus icon in the upper right corner to create a new project.
- Import your green screen video to the timeline by tapping the Plus button.
- Configure default settings. Tap the Chroma tool icon to change settings, including the video resolution, camera position, image duration on the timeline, and video file format.
- Export the project. Tap the Export button on the projects thumbnail. On the subsequent menu, choose whether to delete, duplicate, or export your work.
- Easy to apply green screen effects.
- It has built-in tutorials.
- You combine elements on three layers.
- Record videos of any aspect ratio.
- Import images and videos directly from the camera.
- Limited to iPhones and iPads.
- Higher prices compared to other apps.
3. Veescope Live Green Screen App (Best for Weather and Forecast)
Veescope is another green screen app that works with iPhones, iPads, and iPod touch. You can create up to six layers of videos or photos on the timeline, which makes it popular with weather forecasters as it thus enables weather forecasts for up to five days.
- Live greenscreen preview.
- Stop motion animations.
- Backgrounds for movies and photos.
- Video timeline editor
- Open the Veescope app and press the Plus button to import your video.
- Select the green screen clip and tap Yes to add the green screen effect to video.
- Press the second Plus button to add backgrounds. You adjust the length of the background on the timeline and zoom in and out to resize it.
- Click the Upload button to save your new video on the photo library or view.
- It shoots high-resolution 4k videos and photos of up to 12 megapixels.
- Work on any color background.
- Switch backgrounds as you record.
- Use your photos from your camera roll as backgrounds.
- Affordable price.
- Only for iOS devices.
- It temporarily malfunctions at times.
- Comes with limited features.
Chromavid is a green screen/chroma key app that lets you shoot videos and take photos in real time using special effects. The app protects your privacy by sharing none of your data with third parties, encrypting data in transit, and working on requests to delete data.
- User-friendly interface.
- Chroma colors.
- Unlimited recording time.
- Image merge functions.
- Reverse chroma keying.
- Select the background color to be replaced. That depends on the screen color you used as the background.
- Choose the image or video to replace the color with. You can use the predefined images/videos under the default tab, an image from your phone, take a photo, or record a video to use as background.
- Capture the photo or video with a background screen whose color you selected in step one.
- Save and share your content with friends directly on social media.
- Multiple color backgrounds supported.
- Gain access to your photos and videos for your video.
- Crystal clear images.
- You can flip the camera for selfies.
- Inexpensive compared to others.
- Can’t use on Windows and Mac computers.
- Limited advanced features.
- Frequent crashes.
5. ChromaKey Studio Pro
ChromaKey Studio Pro is a green, pink, and blue screen application that lets you change a monochromatic background into one with any image and video of your choice. The app comes packed with more camera features to help you use your iPhone to shoot green-screen videos and photos.
- Static and animated backgrounds.
- Tons of filters.
- High-quality graphics.
- Free sceneries.
- Selfie mode camera feature.
- Pick a green, pink or blue background color.
- Import your green screen image or video or shot one with the app.
- Save and share the image or video.
- Easy to use green screen effects.
- You can create square or rectangular images according to your needs.
- Automatic resizing of images to match the foreground image.
- You can adjust the color tolerance and background color to remove the background.
- Restricted to iOS devices only.
- More pricey compared to its competition.
6. Stop Motion Studio
Stop Motion Studio is an amazing app for creating amazing stop motion videos with a whole host of features and facilitates using a chroma key or green screen. You can change the background of your scene to make figures fly or appear wherever you want.
- Frame by frame editor
- Sound Editor
- Support for digital cameras
- Grid and onion screen control
Price: $1.99 – $9.99
- Open the app and tap the camera symbol to switch to capture mode.
- Tap the settings button to open capture settings
- Tap the greenscreen icon and select a color to remove from the image.
- Click on the background tab to replace its color with. You can also import a picture from your personal collection.
- Available for all platforms at an affordable price.
- Enhance video quality with diverse backgrounds, foregrounds, and transitions.
- Built-in soundtrack to improve sound quality.
- Make your videos unique using the rotoscoping feature.
- No free plan.
7. Movavi Video Editor
Movavi Video Editor is an intuitive free to download video editing software that helps you bring your creative ideas to life and directly share them with the world. The tool lets you apply a chroma key or green screen to change your clip’s background easily.
- Special effects.
- Ready-made intros.
- Keyframe animation.
- Titles, filters, and transitions.
Price: $49.95 per year
- Import both the green screen video and its replacement into the media bin.
- Add the green screen video first into the timeline by double-clicking it, and the same goes for the replacement clip. You can adjust the length of the replacement clip to match that of the greenscreen video.
- Click Chroma Key from the left side menu, select the color option, then click on any part of the video to eliminate the color. You can adjust the tolerance to remove any remaining color and other refinements, including opacity.
- Hit Apply when you are done making adjustments.
- Tell stories and add comments with a voiceover.
- You don’t need an internet connection to edit videos.
- Set the proper aspect ratio for direct uploading to YouTube, Facebook, or Instagram.
- You can smooth out videos by removing camera shake.
- Picture in picture overlay.
- Available on Windows and Mac computers.
- Can’t use on a mobile phone.
- Slow rendering
- Saving the edited version can gobble up space.
8. Magix – Vegas Pro
Magix – Vegas Pro is a non-linear video editing app with enough tools for professional video editing, including HDR color correction, live streaming, and sound design. The tool empowers you to produce an immersive chroma key with its Boris FX Primatte Studio.
- Unlimited video and audio tracks.
- Keyframing and automation control.
- Hundreds of filters, effects, transitions, and titles.
- Scripting API.
- Nested timelines.
Price: $19.99 per month
- Add the media file into the working area, then drag it to the timeline.
- Click Chroma Keyer on the Video FX pane to insert green screen effects.
- Choose a background color to change.
- Use Chroma Blur to modify threshold values for a better green screen effect.
- Preview your video to check the applied green screen effects.
- Click Save upon satisfaction with the changes and click File > Export to download the video on your computer.
- Automatic green/blue screen analysis.
- Manual transparency tuning.
- Light adjustment to correct unevenly lit screens.
- Powerful edge correction and cleaning toolset.
- Advanced green screen video editor for Windows and Mac computers.
- Doesn’t have an app.
- It is expensive compared to its competition.
- It’s not beginner friendly.
Although Magix – Vegas Pro is more expensive than other apps, it’s the best option for professional video editing.
It’s recommended to leverage software tools that work with Windows and Mac computers when editing complex videos as an app would be too small, making it difficult to edit and apply effects on the video. Additionally, desktop software provides a seamless, professional, and stable platform for editing long and complex videos.
With that in mind, we recommend Movavi and Vegas Pro, which are the leading choices for YouTube video creators.
Powerful Tricks for Shooting Green Screen Video
Making a green screen video may appear cumbersome, but not with these powerful tricks to help with the setup, shooting, and editing of your green screen video:
- Ensure the green/blue screen covers every inch of your set.
- Provide consistent lighting on the screen as well as the subject.
- Use a tripod to keep your camera stable.
- Have the subject a safe distance between the camera and the green screen.
- Record quality videos.
- Research the best video editing tools in the market.
- Ensure everything is set up before bringing the footage into the editing software.
How to Choose the Best Green Screen Backgrounds
Choosing the best green screen backgrounds shouldn’t be a hurdle if you abide by the following guidelines:
- Consider your budget, as green screens don’t come cheap, especially if they come with add-on items.
- Get the dimensions of your set right before choosing a green screen.
- Go for a green screen that comes with peripherals such as lightning kits and other objects for enhancing support.
- If you are frequently on the move, consider buying a portable green screen, as some can be large, which will raise portability issues.
- Choose the fully equipped green screen to avoid incurring expenses on additional kits like carry bags, lighting kits, etc.
Best Websites for Green Screen Backgrounds
Check out my selection of the best websites for green screen backgrounds:
1. GreenScreen Animals
GreenScreen Animals website offers high-quality stock footage of exotic and domestic animals over green screen. Its footage is available in a variety of formats and resolutions, from HD to ultra-high 6k.
Storyblocks is a website that lets you use its library of green screen stock footage to create imaginative, epic shots for your projects. In addition, you can unlock royalty-free footage, templates, music, and photo assets.
Pond5 is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for HD and 4K stock video hundreds of thousands of green screen background videos. The platform has several filters to present your background, and you can now license your videos with them.
Videvo is a free stock video footage website with thousands of royalty-free green screen stock videos for use on any personal or commercial project. The site also comes with motion graphics, sound effects, and music.
Videezy is a community of videographers who download and share free HD stock videos. It comes with thousands of the best free green screen video clips and quality videos with worry-free licensing for personal and commercial use.
iStock is an online royalty-free image, pictures, illustrations, videos, and green screen stock footage website. It has a wide array of green to blue and orange backgrounds on a flexible pricing plan.
Shutterstock is a global marketplace for artists and content creators to sell royalty-free images, footage, vectors, and illustrations. You can explore these resources, including hundreds of thousands of green-screen stock films.
Dissolve comes with green-screen videos and images hand-picked for technical quality, aesthetic style, and cultural relevance. The site also gives usage ideas for high-quality professional videos.
9. Hollywood Camera Work
Hollywood Camera Work provides free HD green screens and VFX plates for download. You can host the clips and use them either way as long as you link back to their site.
10. Footage Island
Footage Island avails green screen background footage on free download for personal and commercial use. You can find hundreds of thousands of stock videos and clips available to use in your projects, or start a new search to explore more stock footage and b-roll video clips. The content is free with credits to Footage Island.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: How do you create a realistic green screen video?
Green screen videos are meant to help you replicate reality, but often that could prove a challenge.
We’ve, however, figured out some tricks to share. For example, to fully control the intensity and color saturation of the green screen, you need to light the background and the subject separately.
Hold your camera still or use a tripod stand and ensure the bounce light isn’t directed in its way. Avoid wearing green clothes and accessories and using wrinkled screens as they cause heavy shadows. Additionally, find a high shutter camera if you plan to shoot high-action scenes.
Q2: What are the best camera settings for a green screen?
Use a tripod stand for the best results to avoid having to replicate camera movement when replacing the screen. Raise your camera’s shutter speed to 1/80 or 1/100 to reduce motion blur, and use three-point lighting to separate your subject from the green screen.
Shoot at a wide aperture of f4 or f5.6 to keep your screen out of focus. That way, you can remedy uneven lighting and wrinkles in the cloth, among other inconsistencies, and have enough depth of field when blurring the green screen. Keep off high ISOs and set the best recording format available to get as much detail as possible in your footage.
Q3: What is the best green screen lighting setup?
Always remember to expose correctly with light any area of the backdrop that appears in the frame. Use big soft light sources and/or hard light with diffusion to avoid unevenly lit backgrounds which can prove problematic when trying to produce a clean key with your editor.
To light the green screen, use two hard lights with diffusion on either side a few feet back at a 45-degree angle to avoid overlap in the center. Using the same lighting equipment would be best to avoid exposure and color temperature issues when posting.
If you have been planning to explore your creative juices or use your imagination to communicate, you now have more than enough tools to experiment with. Apply our tips for shooting and selecting green screen backgrounds alongside advice on camera and lighting settings to produce stunning videos.
After weighing my options, I prefer the Movavi Video Editor because websites streamline the editing process, and you don’t have to download an app. Movavi has the added advantage of being available offline at a relatively affordable price compared to its competition.
Magix-Vegas Pro is my other preference because the tool comes in handy to help produce professional video with green screen. Users can also perform further editing from a set of filters, effects, and transitions on Mac and Windows computers, all at a pocket-friendly fee.